Unscrambling my thoughts onto paper

The past 3 weeks I've been leading up to a premiere with my company, so there hasn't been much time for studying, and where there has been time, I've not been able to focus on just one thing.
However, after the premiere last weekend, I'm feeling A LOT better after reading through parts three (ethical considerations) and four (methodology and theoretical framework), and writing everything down in a notebook. This reminded me of a reflective task in Module One, when we had to reflect in 9 different ways, which I found really helpful to look at things more clearly and focus on what was important. 
I've done a lot more work on ethical considerations and written down a lot in my notebook. My professional practice is working in a ballet company in the Czech Republic, and my topic of inquiry focuses around problems with body image and dancers using the fact ballet is an "aesthetic art" to damage their health and bodies, when in fact dancers need to be strong as we are athletes. I've realised during reflecting on areas of ethical concern in my inquiry, that I want my assumptions and beliefs to be true because I want dancers to be healthy, which will prevent injuries and present the 'ballet world' and our sub-culture in a more positive way. I've also spoken to a lot of colleagues, as I felt I was reading and studying article after article. One thing I have noticed is that the male dancers in the company share the same views as me and agree with most of my beliefs, whereas my fellow female colleagues don't agree with me as much.
One article I've read  recently that I completely agree with and feel very passionately about myself is written by Jess Spinner, who set up 'The Whole Dancer'. It's an article I feel all dancers, teachers and directors should read: http://www.thewholedancer.com/to-ballet-companies-and-schools-stop-weighing-your-dancers/?fbclid=IwAR2HI7J88WewPdOAM5-EFQUmr4Aawd24VoiTLcI7vBH8WZjODhpygOzuLt0

Comments

Popular Posts