It's just an opinion

On tonight's Skype call, we were asked what data we would use and collect if we couldn't interview or speak to anyone. I'd only planned on doing interviews for data collection, either via skype for overseas or face to face with colleagues, so hadn't really thought much about other methods. However after the discussion I realise that using our literature, our journals, interviews with other professionals within our field is more substantial than just interviewing as my main source of data. Comparing these pieces of data and then looking for common threads and themes is what makes you think about what you're actually doing and what kind of analysis you'll do.
When you interview someone, at the end of the day, it's just their opinion on your inquiry topic, and whilst it's helpful to see what other people think, you're non the wiser from just talking about it. I'm still going to conduct interviews, but I'm also going to use other methods of data collection to build substance in my inquiry and help me have a clear analysis process. When interviewing people I will take into consideration their background and experiences, for example what school or company they're at and the facilities they have. When analysing their interviews/transcripts I'll be able to group certain people in regards to what they said or what their opinion was, still thinking about their background.
I hope this helps anyone who couldn't make the call, and would definitely advise not to just use interviews as you're only data collection method.

Comments

Popular Posts