Comparison of dance and qualitative research design

I've started planning and typing up my inquiry proposal, but came across this interesting piece of literature in 'Strategies of qualitative inquiry' (the method we are using for research), focusing on how it relates to dance, and thought it was really interesting and useful for other dancers!

A choreographer creating a piece would begin by thinking "What do I want to say in this dance?", and similarly, a qualitative researcher starts with "What do I want to find out in this study?".

I liked the analogy of the three stages. In dance, a dancer would begin with a warm up. This first stage in qualitative research is thinking about what questions guide the study, what do I want to find out more about? It's also the selection of participants (who do I need to interview?), the agreements with the participants (so the consent form), the timeline for study (Gantt chart) and the research strategies I will use (ethnography). The second stage for the dancer would be the class work/exercising (barre and centre work for ballet). This period for a qualitative researcher is when the pilot study takes place, and also data collection. One point I noted down which I thought was really useful...
Data collection isn't just about interviewing and then writing down everything the participant said, but also taking into consideration their beliefs and experience.
The last stage for a dancer is the cool down stage, and this is the final data analysis, continuous reassessment and interdisciplinary triangulation. 

The non-positivist approach we are taking in our inquiry's is the assumption that things are constructed from a number of elements (from the module handbook). I compared this to a quote from this book, "Graham technique represented a paradigm shift from ballet into modern dance, elements of ballet are still used within the idiom of modern dance".

Here is the link for anyone who wants to read this piece of literature I found useful: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232497144_The_dance_of_qualitative_research_design_Metaphor_methodolatry_and_meaning

Now back to writing, I hope you're all getting on well!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this. It's incredibly helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to post this. Good luck with the rest of your module two work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts